Monday, October 05, 2009

Marlowe and more


I've been on a campaign recently - not always a successful one - to stop bringing more books into the living quarters, at least until I've created additional shelf space. Things are already out of control, and though I've been gradually selling books off on eBay, it doesn't seem to have made much of a dent in the overall situation. So why did I go to this year's NYC Collectible Paperback and Pulp Fiction Expo this weekend? Just to look, I told myself, walk around a little, enjoy an Indian Summer day in the city.

Of course, it didn't quite work out that way. Instead, I walked out with the above. No regrets though, especially since, as the expo wound down, the dealers were eager to strike bargains before packing up. It was tough to turn away from these, all vintage Fawcett Gold Medals with McGinnis covers, from two of the hardest of the hard-boiled writers.

They are:

THE BLACK ICE SCORE By Richard Stark (Donald E. Westlake). (1968). First printing of the 11th Parker novel. The third after Westlake/Stark moved over to Fawcett from Pocket Books.

OPERATION FIREBALL By Dan J. Marlowe. (1969). The third in the "Earl Drake" series, after THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH and ONE ENDLESS HOUR. With FIREBALL, Drake began his transformation from professional criminal to government agent.

FLASHPOINT By Dan J. Marlowe. (1970). The fourth Drake book, and the winner of that year's Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original.

I'd read the Stark before, in another edition, but neither of the two Marlowes. This time, unfortunately, neither of them were autographed.

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I recently came up with a trilogy, edited by Greenberg and Prozini. Each has a theme: Locked Room Mysteries, Female Sleuths and Police Procedurals and has several short novels inside. An AAUW used booksale. Usually they have not a single interesting book so I was happy to find these.